Saturday, December 11, 2010

Hello, world!



Imagine that... December again! Tomorrow will be one year since I graduated from college and I still miss it. Anyway, that's not the point of this pointless post. I've been playing around with my new camera (my old one was pushed to its limit at Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe when it got soaking wet -- good thing I brought an already dying camera) and experimenting with f-stops and shutter speeds. I know very little about photography, so I've been looking up stuff through Google and Youtube and experimenting. As you can see from my very boring array of pictures, I went on a walk and played with the camera settings. By the way, if the lighting isn't just the way you want it, or if you don't get the depth of field the way you want it, there's always Picasa. :P Cheating, I know.

Some of the fun features of my camera include this one. It's called the miniature effect and it blurs the top and bottom of the picture to create... tadaa.. a miniature effect. I'm not sure how the miniature effect really makes it look miniature, but whatever. It's still cool.
And this is when I was experimenting with the lowest F-stop. Of course, since it's cold out, there wasn't much interesting to shoot other than dead trees... and dead leaves...

Having a 14.1 zoom lens is great! This bird was sitting near the top of a very tall tree, so I took a picture of it.
Narnia???
Grandmother was sewing curtains today. I showed her my new camera. She wanted to know if it also does email. Nope... that's just Andy's Android phone.
The other incredibly cool effect is the fisheye lens. It's great for big buildings, landscapes...brothers...


This is Grandfather's turkey balloon.
I decided I wanted to focus only on the foot, so I edited it in Picasa. :P

As you can see, I'm not very adept at this. However, it's fun to experiment and hopefully I'll get better at using it and also learn composition better.

The End.

2 Comments:

Blogger somecallmemom said...

I love that you have a camera again!

And, I love what the camera does to brothers. Try it on my brothers!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Carlson Chronicler said...

Great pictures. The one with the stump deserves to be on a book cover about desolate poetry ;-) or maybe "the World Waiting for Life" or something darkly romantic like that!

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home